Skip to main content

Reality Check

While visiting a doctor's office for a standard procedure for Lucas I had panicked moment when they went to give him Infant Tylenol. I realized I had no clue what medications he would be allowed, only that there was many he would not be able to have due to ingredients that would effect his phe levels. We stopped them from giving it to him and I placed a call into his dietitian to inquire. The Tylenol is fine, as it has no aspartame. 

This served as a strong reality check for me that this is something that will happen in his life and I will have to find ways to adapt and make decisions based on the knowledge I have of his condition. This is where again I am thankful for our health care system where I am able to call his clinic and they can help us out.

Comments

  1. Your story of Tylenol reminded me of something my wife & I had to figure out for ourselves with our daughter who has PKU. We did some research & found out that AYour story of Tylenol reminded me of something my wife & I had to figure out for ourselves with our daughter who has PKU. We did some research & found out that ASpartame Has many different names. For example, sorbotal hat's the only one I can think of right now. You might want to ask your medical person about the other names. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, that's a good thing for me to know and something I feel his dietitian should have informed me of. I know they have us a list of approved medications but it is amazing how much we have to research before we consider having him take anything. I haven't even used gripe water for fear it has something in it he shouldn't have. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Toughest Kid Around

Today was such a busy but great day for the three of us. Luke, Jeff and I headed to the Stollery at 9am to meet with his metabolic team.  The appointment  The dietitians always start things off with weighing and measuring Luke to see how well he is growing and if you have been following the blog you may know Luke has kinda been a bit light on the scale. However today we were happy to find out he is doing really well both height and weight wise! He is in the 50th percentile for both!! Then we talked about his diet some, touched on his formula intake and got the green light to try him with a new juice type formula (which will be good for summer holidays) Then in came Dr. S, she is his pediatrician/metabolic doctor. I love this lady! She is great at offering guidance and suggestions that will make things easier for us as he gets older, things like having him help us make his formula, help us weigh and measure his foods, those sorts of things. The exci...

Anger. Frustration. Advocacy.

Anger & Frustration Well the good news I posted about here  was that we were thrilled to find out that Luke's food was now going to be fully covered by Alberta Health Services. I placed a large-ish order of new foods for Luke but held myself back from "going crazy" with the order. Turns out this was a mistake.  The foods that were listed were never meant to be free... meaning there never was a change in coverage. I am not 100% sure on the details as to how this mistake happened, it sounds like an error with the metabolic food distributor.  They have not sent an invoice for the cost of the foods I ordered, and honestly I cannot imagine how they could. However foods that are very pricey are ones that Lucas loves, including the animal pasta that we tried for the first time from the free order.  I have known of this for a awhile now, as the website was corrected not long after I received our order. I struggled to find a way to post about this in a way tha...

Formula Strike

I think I have mentioned before that a HUGE  part of Luke's diet & phe management is his formula. It is like a PKU "protein shake" in that it has all the parts of protein that he needs but that he misses out on with his restricted diet. He has a set amount of formula that he must  drink in a day and if he goes a little over on drinking extra then that is alright. It has zero phe in it so will not cause him to be over his phe intake, in fact it will help him feel more full if he has eaten his days worth of phe and needs a bit more to fill his belly. When we switched over from the infant formula to the new, more age-appropriate, formula I worried so much about Luke rejecting the new one. I have read so many posts on the Facebook group about kids refusing to switch over, of parents stressing as their kids went days without drinking any formula and I was so worried. It's a big fear of mine for Luke to stop drinking his formula. Another situation I read a lot about ...