Skip to main content

Meeting his Team & Making a Plan

The Monday after Jeff and I found out that Lucas had PKU we went into the Stollery Hospital in Edmonton to meet with Melissa and the rest of Lucas' team of doctors. Lucas has 2 metabolic genetics doctors, 2 dietitians (including Melissa) and a few resident doctors. 

First they sat us down and did an in depth family tree for both of us and asked us many questions about family and siblings. We learned that there was a chance that all of our siblings would be carriers of the PKU allele but the chance of them meeting another PKU carrier (and therefore deciding to have kids) is 1 in 2,500. At the moment there is no way to screen for a recessive PKU allele so there is no way to know in advance if someone has the recessive allele. 

We got a lot more information on what PKU is (see here if you didn't read the introduction), how it will effect Lucas' diet in his long term future and what it means for the immediate future. We discussed the formula that Lucas will be on and what ratio of breast milk to formula he would need in order to grow. Also we discussed the heel poke tests that Jeff & I will have to do and send into the university, how often would we need to do the test and where to take it.

Because of the heel poke test Lucas will have very sensitive (and tender) feet, so as a comfort to him we ask that no one play with his feet or toes. This prevents anyone from causing him unnecessary pain. The tests are currently 2 times a week, but we look forward to going down to once a week in the near future.

We will be in very close contact with the dietitians for all of Lucas`life as they will be the ones to set how much protein he can have and still keep his phe at a healthy and manageable level.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toughest Kid Around

Today was such a busy but great day for the three of us. Luke, Jeff and I headed to the Stollery at 9am to meet with his metabolic team.  The appointment  The dietitians always start things off with weighing and measuring Luke to see how well he is growing and if you have been following the blog you may know Luke has kinda been a bit light on the scale. However today we were happy to find out he is doing really well both height and weight wise! He is in the 50th percentile for both!! Then we talked about his diet some, touched on his formula intake and got the green light to try him with a new juice type formula (which will be good for summer holidays) Then in came Dr. S, she is his pediatrician/metabolic doctor. I love this lady! She is great at offering guidance and suggestions that will make things easier for us as he gets older, things like having him help us make his formula, help us weigh and measure his foods, those sorts of things. The exci...

Anger. Frustration. Advocacy.

Anger & Frustration Well the good news I posted about here  was that we were thrilled to find out that Luke's food was now going to be fully covered by Alberta Health Services. I placed a large-ish order of new foods for Luke but held myself back from "going crazy" with the order. Turns out this was a mistake.  The foods that were listed were never meant to be free... meaning there never was a change in coverage. I am not 100% sure on the details as to how this mistake happened, it sounds like an error with the metabolic food distributor.  They have not sent an invoice for the cost of the foods I ordered, and honestly I cannot imagine how they could. However foods that are very pricey are ones that Lucas loves, including the animal pasta that we tried for the first time from the free order.  I have known of this for a awhile now, as the website was corrected not long after I received our order. I struggled to find a way to post about this in a way tha...

Food Centered Holidays & PKU

As another "food centered" holiday approaches I can already feel my mind racing. Trying to think of ways to make Luke feel like he has choices at dinners and that he can feel included in all the Easter goodies. Chocolate is high phe, so I will be going to Micheals this weekend to get some chocolate molds to fill with his low-phe chocolate, I will bring some to dinners and some will be for his Easter basket. I am also going to try my hand at his special buns - he is a carbohydrate lover like his Mommy so I know that I will likely have success having him eat those.  I don't want to make it sound like we don't have marvelous families because we do! Our families understand, they always help us include Luke friendly foods and want to make the holidays special for him. We are truly blessed to both have supportive parents and siblings AND extended family who love to shower Luke with love & fun!  Luke is not trusting when it comes to food, this makes him VERY reluct...